You are working the night shift on a medical-surgical
Burn Victim Assessment
You are working the night shift on a medical-surgical unit. You assignment includes a 19 year old woman admitted early this morning. She has sustained burns over 30% of her body surface area, with partial-thickness burns on her legs and back.
1. In a two-page APA formatted paper, discuss the following:
2. The staff are following the Parkland Formula for fluid resuscitation. The client arrived at 0200 and was admitted at 0400. She weighs 110 pounds. Calculate her fluid requirement, using the Parkland formula. Explain the time intervals and amounts for each.
3. The client was sleeping when the fire started and managed to make her way out of the house through thick smoke. You are concerned about possible smoke inhalation. What assessment finding would corroborate this concern?
4. The client is in severe pain. What is the drug of choice for pain relief and how should it be given?
5. What nutritional requirements are necessary for the client’s burns to heal?
6. What measures are taken with the client to prevent infection?