To frame the context for this assignment, consider the following questions: Leadership is hard; why? Perhaps the culprit is the tangential difference (disconnect?) between the intellectual, emotional, and inspirational decision relative to the problem. How do effective leaders reconcile the art and the science of decision making with the possibility of unintended consequence?
Find a case study on a business, social, or psychological "problem" in which a decision yielded an unintended consequence. In 1,250-1,500 words, analyze the unintended consequence(s) of that decision. Describe the process of decision making that was used in this instance and why that process led to the decision that was made. Despite the unintended consequence(s), were the decisions ethical at the time they were made?
Consider the following areas of concentration for effective decision making:
- Cost of indecisiveness.
- Collaboration: strength and/or weaknesses.
- Unintended consequence: Inherited feature in the decision-making process.
- Recommendations or reconciliations to avoid unintended consequences.
Example case studies include, but are not limited to:
Unintended Consequence: Business
- Corporate Governance Reform and CEO Compensation
- Invasion of Iraq
- The Affordable Healthcare Act
Unintended Consequence: Social
- Communism for Neighborhood Relations
- Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Cuban Missile Crisis
- Employer Layoffs
- End-of-Life Care
- Health Care Reform
- Immigration Act of 1965
- Large-Scale Iron Ocean Fertilization
- Rise of International Criminal Law
- Transportation Security (TSA) Administration Policies
- Youth Bike Helmet Laws
Unintended Consequence: Psychological
- Gender Aspects of Conflict Interventions (Bosnia, Somalia, etc.)
- Women in the Workforce
- The Workforce Investment Act
Use three to five scholarly references for evidentiary support.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.