The Triumph Of White Man's Democracy
By the end of this session, students will be able to:
· Describe the new democratic system of politics and give the reasons for its emergence in the 1820s.
· Explain the importance of racism in the Jacksonian period, and its relationship to democratic politics.
· Explain the importance of the Nullification crisis and the development of the nationalists and state interpretation of the constitution.
· Explain the significance of the banking issue.
Read Chapter 10 in American: Past and Present by Robert Divine and view the chapter 10 Power Point.
Helpful Web sites:
Trail of Tears
A. Read Chapter 10 in American: Past and Present by Robert Divine and answer the following questions.
1. In what ways did American cultural development in the 1820’s and 1830s reflect the democratic impulse of the era?
2. What issues combined lead to the death of the national bank?
3. Why would the elections of 1828 and 1840 firmly establish the two-party system?
4. Describe the temperament and political philosophy of Andrew Jackson.