reli448 week 6 discussion 2020 feb all latest
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 9
- Article: Gospel of Luke Perspectives and Issues: https://www.shmoop.com/luke-gospel/perspectives.html (Links to an external site.)
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook/lesson)
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, respond to only one of the following options:
Jesus of Nazareth is considered the founder of Christianity, even though born and raised a Jew. In his lifetime, Christianity did not exist; however, after his death and resurrection, his disciples brought his teachings forward into the world of the Roman Empire and after some years of persecution, those teachings became Christianity, which is an umbrella name for 3 primary religions: Catholicism ( the first to emerge), Eastern Orthodox (which broke from Catholicism in 1054), and Protestantism (which first developed in the 16th century, when the monk, Martin Luther, broke from the Catholic Church). Christianity is the largest religion in the world, and Catholicism is the largest religion within Christianity. Jesus Christ remains central to all 3 branches.
For this option address the following:
- Explain each of the following core, Christian beliefs about Jesus’ identity, in 4-6 sentences each. Messiah, Son of God, Crucified and Resurrected Savior, 2nd Person of the Blessed Trinity.
- Choose one of these beliefs and explain more fully, including a supporting quote from one New Testament reference.
- Name 3 qualities or virtues taught by Jesus which would be helpful in nursing, whether or not a nurse is Christian, and explain why.
Jesus, in addition to his call for universal love and Salvation, also taught and acted in such a way as to highlight the social ills of his day. Through his Sermon on the Mount, healing of lepers and others ostracized by illness, treatment of women as equals, and concern for the poor, Jesus engaged social issues and demonstrated to his followers the need to do the same. In our age, this message would be called social justice activism. Social justice refers to God's original intention for human society: a world where basic needs are met, people flourish, and peace (shalom) reigns. God calls the church, God’s people, to participate in the renewal of society so that all—especially the weak, vulnerable, and marginalized—are treated equally, have their human rights respected, and can enjoy God's good gifts. Christianity is based on the following beliefs: all are created in the image and likeness of God; all people have human rights which must be respected; there is a preferential option for the poor; we are called to work for the common good; nonviolence is a priority; we are to be good stewards of all creation; we are to participate in creating a just society and stand in solidarity with those in need or oppressed.
For this option, please address the following:
- There are 4 gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Each has a particular focus on who Jesus was and together they give us a well-rounded profile of Jesus, his mission and teaching.
- Explain why the Gospel of Luke is known as the social justice Gospel.
- Select one of the issues Luke shows Jesus addressing and indicate the lesson you learn from it regarding social justice.
- Choose One of the following contemporary social justice issues and explain how the teachings in any one of the Christian gospels would address it: homelessness, lack of adequate healthcare, racism, sexism. (See article link above)
- Discuss how your chosen issue affirms and/or challenges your own worldview and/or professional practice.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least two peers or one peer and the instructor. Respond to a peer who chose an option different from the one you chose. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification.
- Minimum of 3 posts (1 initial & 2 follow-up)?
- Initial Post Length: 300-500 words
- Minimum of 2 sources cited (assigned readings/online lessons?and?one outside scholarly source)?
- APA format for in-text citations (include page or paragraph) and references?
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the following link: