Public Health Data Base - What are some of the common databases
Public Health Data Base
- What are some of the common databases readily available to use for public health programs/initiatives, program planning, monitoring and evaluation. What other databases have you used in the past? Are there other data elements you expected or wanted but failed to find a database?
Include at least the U.S. Census, National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), National Immunization Survey (NIS), National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG), Behavioral Risk factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), HealthCare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS) and Guttmacher Institute in your inventory. It is suggested the student complete a chart based on the following format:
Type of data
Level of data
Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS)
Pregnancy and postpartum
Nationally, available for participating states
CDC website and/or state website
Not available for all states.
- Column 1: Give the complete name of the database.
- Column 2: Describe what type of data would be found in this database.
- Column 3: Give the level of the lowest denominator such as national, state, city or county, census tract or neighborhood.
- Column 4: Describe when the data is available on what time frames such as annually or biannually or every 5 years.
- Column 5: Describe where the data can be found and how it can be obtained.
- Column 6: Add any pertinent information; you may want to identify whether this database is private or government.
- What is the difference between incidence and prevalence? How would the public health nurse use these concepts in examining statistics regarding the health district she resides. Give an example of when incidence would be used; give an example when using prevalence data may be more appropriate.
- What is the purpose of the development of the Healthy People Objectives? Have you used these objectives in any of your work experience? If so, in what ways. If not, what factors have contributed to your lack of experience or exposure?
- Why is knowledge of epidemiology critical for population nursing practice?
The assignment should be presented in APA format in a scholarly essay of 1500 to 2000 words. At least two scholarly sources, other than the textbook and provided materials should be utilized.
Solution: Public Health Data Base - What are some of the common databases