Information Systems - Research and discuss each company's history
About this Assignment
In this Module, you learned about the importance of information systems in business operations. To apply what you have learned in this module, each student will select two NYSE publicly traded, competing companies to research each company's usage of information systems.
Research and discuss each company's history of existence, the information systems utilized by each company, and the advantages and disadvantages of employing information systems to manage people, organizations, and technology. Also, include a comparison of the information system types in the analysis and the business purpose(s) of the system. The written assignment should follow APA formatting style. This written research paper should be 1,000 to 1,500-words in length and include responses to address the associated questions.
- What is the corporation's history of existence and what products and/or services does the company offer?
- Each company employs what types of information systems? Such as management information systems, HR systems, transaction processing systems, etc.
- Are there similarities in the business information systems employed by the companies being analyzed?
- How can information systems be used for companies to establish a competitive advantage?
- How does the company use information systems to manage data collection and manipulate data?
Sources for locating the information system(s) employed by a company may include the company's corporate website, LinkedIn SlideShare website (which details a company's profile and information systems), corporate SEC filings, and public corporate documents on information system projects and implementation.
You may refer to the course material for supporting evidence, but you must also use at least three credible, outside sources and cite them using APA format. Please include a mix of both primary and secondary sources, with at least one source from a scholarly peer-reviewed journal. If you use any Study.com lessons as sources, please also cite them in APA (including the lesson title and instructor's name).
- Primary sources are first-hand accounts such as interviews, advertisements, speeches, company documents, statements, and press releases published by the company in question.
- Secondary sources come from peer-reviewed scholarly journals, such as the Journal of Management. You may use like JSTOR, Google Scholar, and Social Science Research Network to find articles from these journals. Secondary sources may also come from reputable websites with .gov, .edu, or .org in the domain. (Wikipedia is not a reputable source, though the sources listed in Wikipedia articles may be acceptable)