GLST650 Exam 1 Latest 2022
Question 1 Match the following
• Question 2Chi and her friends prefer to be late for their appointments rather than abruptly terminate their conversation before it comes to a natural conclusion. Chi and her friends most likely belong to which time-schedule culture?
• Question 3Individualism is a cultural pattern common in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, and Central and South America.
• Question 4In individualistic cultures, people tend to emphasize verbal style, and in collectivistic cultures, people tend to emphasize
• Question 5In perceiving the world, Vy tends to avoid thinking of behaviors, objects, and so on in either/or terms. So, she does not describe a person as “young” or “old,” but as “not so young,” “a little bit old,” and “not so old.” Vy is operating from what kind of a worldview?
• Question 6An individual who actively pursues new intercultural knowledge to improve her communication competencies with individuals from another culture is operating at which stage of the staircase model of intercultural communication?
• Question 7Which of the following suggestions should collectivists do in a conflict with an individualist?
• Question 8Ethnocentrism is a defense mechanism used to view our culture as superior to other cultures.
• Question 9According to the text, heterogeneous small groups have a probability of groupthink and creative problem-solving solutions than homogeneous small groups.
• Question 10 refers to our larger philosophical outlook or ways of perceiving the world and how this outlook, in turn, affects our thinking and reasoning patterns.
• Question 11An ethnocentric mindset means understanding a communication behavior from the other person’s cultural frame of reference.
• Question 12In the ethnic–cultural identity typological model, an individual who identifies strongly with ethnic traditions and values but identifies weakly with the dominant culture’s values is operating from which of the four options?
• Question 13In U.S. culture, the personal zone is in distance and is reserved for .
• Question 14During the post–Civil War era in the United States, government institutions promoted a policy whereby only those who owned land or were literate could vote, thereby negating the chances for newly freed slaves to vote and continuing their plight. To which theory or approach to the development of prejudice does this explanation relate?
• Question 15The staircase model of intercultural communication depicts stages of:
• Question 16In -context communication, the emphasis is on how intention or meaning is expressed through explicit verbal messages, whereas in -context communication the emphasis is on how intention or meaning is best conveyed through the embedded contexts and nonverbal channels.
• Question 17 identity is made up of traditions and ethnic values, whereas identity focuses on the latest trends and technological advances.
• Question 18Ethnicity is a subjective experience.
• Question 19 is the study of space between persons, physical contact, and the inner anxiety we have when people violate our space.
• Question 20The ethical relativism position states that the role of culture must be considered an important factor in judging behavior.
• Question 21A person whose philosophy is reflected in statements such as “There should be one clear standard that all people in all cultures go by” operates from what ethical position?
• Question 22People’s facial expressions for emotions are easily discernible across cultures.
• Question 23Using some examples describe that you know the meaning of the text’s use of the concept of flexible intercultural communication.