Assessing and treatment vulnerable populations for depressive disorders
ASSESSING AND TREATING VULNERABLE POPULATIONS FOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDERS
· Reflect on the psychopharmacologic treatments you might recommend for the assessment and treatment of vulnerable patient populations requiring antidepressant therapy.
For this assignment, you will develop a patient medication guide for treatment of depressive disorders in a vulnerable population (your choice for one vulnerable patient population to choose from: children, adolescents, older adults, dementia patients, pregnant women or one not listed of your choice!). Be sure to use language appropriate for your audience (patient, caregiver, parent, etc.). You will include non-copyright images and/or information tables to make your patient medication guide interesting and appealing. Limit your patient medication guide to 5 pages. You will create this guide as an assignment; therefore, a title page, introduction, conclusion, and reference page are required. You must include a minimum of 3 scholarly supporting resources outside of your course provided resources.
In your patient guide, include discussion on the following:
· Depressive disorder causes and symptoms
· How depression is diagnosed for the vulnerable population of your choice ( Pregnant Woman) , why is this population considered vulnerable?
· Medication treatment options including risk vs benefits; side effects; FDA approvals for the vulnerable population of your choice
· Medication considerations of medication examples prescribed – Citalopram ( Celexa)
· What is important to monitor in terms of labs, comorbid medical issues with why important for monitoring
· Special Considerations (you must be specific, not general and address at least one for EACH category; you must demonstrate critical thinking beyond basics of HIPPA and informed consent!): legal considerations, ethical considerations, cultural considerations, social determinants of health
· Where to follow up in your local community for further information
· Provide 3 examples of how to write a proper prescription that you would provide to the patient or transmit to the pharmacy.
Medication list Selection: Citalopram
References x 4 to include:
Stahl, S. M. (2021). Stahl's essential psychopharmacology: Neuroscientific basis and practical applications (5th Ed.) Cambridge University Press.
Chapter 6, "Mood Disorders and the Neurotransmitter Networks Norepinephrine and y-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA)" (pp. 244-282)Chapter 7, "Treatments for Mood Disorders: So-Called “Antidepressants” and “Mood Stabilizers” (pp. 283-338)
American Psychiatric Association. (2022). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders Links to an external site. (5th ed., text rev.). https://go.openathens.net/redirector/waldenu.edu?url=https://dsm.psychiatryonline.org/doi/book/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425787
Howland, R. H. (2008a). Sequenced Treatment Alternatives to Relieve Depression (STAR*D). Part 1: Study design. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health ServicesLinks to an external site. , 46(9), 21–24. https://doi.org/10.3928/02793695-20080901-06
El Marroun, H., White, T., Verhulst, F., & Tiemeier, H. (2014). Maternal use of antidepressant or anxiolytic Medication during pregnancy and childhood neurodevelopmental outcomes: A systematic review. European Child & Adolescent PsychiatryLinks to an external site. , 23(10), 973–992. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00787-014-0558-3