The practice of data entry is tiresome, but it is essential for keeping and maintaining records, whether they are for purchases, leads, sales, employees, or administration.
A repetitive task may cause displeasure, which causes errors to occur. It is possible to make data entry fun if you follow certain tips and tricks. Take your bitter experiences and turn them into fun experiences with these hacks.
Tips and Tricks for Saving Time When Entering Data
The following tips and tricks to save time while keeping up with quality standards for data entry will help you get the most out of your data entry time.
1. Take advantage of shortcuts
To speed up your entry processes, there are several shortcut keys that you can use. These are the most common combination keys:
- Tab key: To move from one cell to another
- Shift+Tab key: Return to the last input cell.
- Ctrl+A: Select all data.
- Ctrl+C: To copy the selected details.
- Ctrl+V: To paste the copied details.
- Ctrl+Z: Undo or rewind the last action.
- Ctrl+Shift+Z: To undo the last undo action.
- Alt+Tab: switch from one window to another
2. Using tables
Data tables are a great tool for storing databases. It offers a variety of options that enhance accuracy and confidence while speeding up entries. Tables are preferred by those involved in data entry service.
- For these functions, there are “on the click” options:
- Tables with bespoke columns and rows can be inserted and modified
- Creating a table from text
- Right-clicking to add or delete rows above or below and columns left or right
- The ability to add or remove styles from formatted tables, such as header row, total row, banded rows, first column, last column, and banded column
3. Adding or deleting borders around the selected cells
In the table, you are no longer required to click and find values manually. Filters and sort options can be added to the cells to quickly find the desired values. In the standard toolbar, you can click on all these tabs to see how things are progressing.
4. Click-and-drag combination key
In the table, there is no need to click and find values manually. To find the desired values quickly, you can add filters and sort options to the cells. For an overview of how things are going, click on all of these tabs on the standard toolbar.
Select the filter or sort option by right-clicking the selected cell.
- With Alt + Down Arrow Keys, you can access the next option.
- Ctrl + Shift + Down Arrow Keys Select All Used Cells in a Column.
Furthermore, you can align formulas to perform different functions on the same values using the same formula or formulae.
5. Auto-fill dates with drag-and-drop
Any date entry is just a matter of entering a number in a specific format into a cell. By selecting and dragging downwards, you will be able to copy the format quickly.
- A few minutes of manual typing would drain you of energy and resentment would captivate you.
- By right-clicking on the fill handle, you can create a linear series from a single number.
- Once you have chosen “fill series,” it will appear.
- The path to auto fill it is as follows: Home> Fill>Series> Select.
- Put a value in the Stop Value Field and the step value, which corresponds to the gap between consecutive numbers. Press the OK button at the end.
6. Create a drop-down list of your own
Data consistency can be assured by maintaining a drop-down list. Select a cell where the drop-down list should appear and enter the items you wish to pick from.
In the standard toolbar, click the ‘Data’ option. Choose the option for ‘Data Tools’, then select the option for ‘Data Validation’. Changing the setting and creating the list is as simple as clicking ‘Allow’. The source box allows you to specify the range
Cursor movement can be customized
It can be difficult to work on a laptop, especially if you use a touch-run mouse. As a result of the sensation, the selection may change or the unsaved file may be closed. If you lose data you have spent hours preparing and collating, it can be disappointing.
Customize the cursor movement to avoid this embarrassing situation. The following steps can be taken to make it happen:
- Select ‘File’ from the menu.
- Go to the ‘File’ menu and select ‘File Options’.
- Go to the left pane and select ‘Advanced’.
- If you move the selection to the Editing option, where you need to select, you can click on it.
- From the drop-down menu, select ‘Down’.
Changing these settings will allow you to define how your cursor moves. If you work on Excel or enter data, you can save multiple hours a day this way.For more info visit Homework minutes’ data entry services.