Native Americans Beliefs and Practices
For this benchmark, students will research a Native American community’s culture, oral tradition, religious texts, historical background, and current beliefs and practices. It is advisable to visit the Native American community or a museum that would contribute significantly to the research. If possible, interview a Native American leader from the community or a museum expert about that community.
In a 20-25 slide presentation, include the following:
- Name of the Native American community and the historical religious beliefs and practices of that community
- Significance of historical beliefs and the related social, cultural, and theological practices
- How historical beliefs and religious practices have been influenced by the dominant American culture
- Current religious beliefs and practices and how they are seen in the daily life of a typical member of the community
- Elements of the traditional religion that a Christian would need to consider when sharing the Christian faith/gospel with a person from this community
Use 3-5 academic resources.
Be creative. In addition, create a title slide, reference slides, and slide notes that provide detailed explanation of examples.
If you would like to take pictures during your visit to a Native American community or museum, be sure to obtain permission.
GCU format is required for essays only. Solid academic writing is always expected. For all assignment delivery options, documentation of sources should be presented using GCU formatting guidelines. These can be found in the GCU Style Guide located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following CoT competencies:
Domain 5: Global Ministry
5.1:Share the gospel clearly with people of another worldview or religious system.