A4C12 - Describe the historical development of the humanities
Write a 4 page essay that addresses three key concepts related to the philosophical and historical development of modern science.
This assessment allows you to demonstrate your understanding of the philosophy of science.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 1: Describe the historical development of the humanities from the pre-historic era to the present.
· Competency 2: Examine the forms of expression that instantiate the arts and humanities.
· Competency 3: Integrate the humanities with everyday life.
· Competency 4: Communicate effectively in forms appropriate to the humanities.
Write an essay in which you express and defend your views on the following issues:
· Consider the rise of modern science during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
. How did Enlightenment philosophers both defend and contribute to this cultural development?
. How did elements of scientific reasoning alter conceptions of the origin and limits of human knowledge?
· Explain the difference between intrinsic and instrumental goods and how modern science embodies an instrumental approach to the relationship between human beings and the natural world.
. Is recognition of our proper place in the context of a vast and ancient universe an essential insight?
. How does it affect our understanding of ourselves?
· Consider how philosophical and scientific reasoning make a difference to our daily lives. (Of course we all benefit from technological advances that came from these ways of thinking, but that is not the point here.)
. In what situations or circumstances of ordinary life is it appropriate to apply philosophical or scientific thinking to seek a solution, resolve a conflict, or make a decision? Imagine you are invited to contribute a post on this topic to a blog about philosophy, like those that appear in The New York Times blog The Stone, the What Is it Like to be a Woman in Philosophy? blog from Wordpress, or Philosophy Nowmagazine.
. How would you argue for (or against) the use of philosophical reasoning in everyday life?
· Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
· APA formatting: Your paper should be formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
· Length: 4 typed and double-spaced pages.
· Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.