Unit 7: Nature Or Nurture Discussion
Please complete the following steps for your first discussion post and response.
Watch the video, Nature or Nurture (Correlations, 2013).
In the video, studies of twins were used to add evidence to a debate about whether an individual's character is formed primarily from their genetics or their environment. Review your course readings and answer the following questions related to the Nature or Nurture debate
- In your own words, explain how the use of twin studies can help to clarify whether characteristics are determined primarily by genes or environment.
- The assumption made in this debate is that factors in an individual’s genetic make-up, or in their environment, cause how they act as adults. Discuss whether you agree with that assumption and why or why not.
- In your opinion, does the high degree of correlation between the behavior of twins prove that genetics causes their behavior?
- Why might you question how well one variable predicts another, such as whether genes or environment predicts adult behavior?
- Thinking about your own life experiences, describe reasons why your genetics or childhood environment might fail to predict your current decisions and actions.
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format. Estimated time to complete: 2 hours This topic is valued at 40 points. Please review post and response expectations. Please review the rubric to ensure that your response meets criteria (Read me First Section of the Course). Cite any resources/references in APA formatting that were used in the discussion-if applicable
Nature or Nurture: Against All Odds: Inside Statistics [Video file]. (2013). Retrieved August 1, 2017, from https://fod.infobase.com/PortalPlaylists.aspx?wID=104861&xtid=111536