Expose you to professional literature in your discipline
Statistics Journal Article
For this assessment, you will identify a published research article either in the print literature or online in the Capella University Library. Your article must be based on empirical (data-based) research; qualitative or purely descriptive research is not appropriate. Select a journal article in your career specialization that reports a correlation, a t test, a one-way ANOVA, or some combination of these test statistics. The library guides listed in the Resources area can help you to locate appropriate articles.
The intent of this assessment is to:
- Expose you to professional literature in your discipline.
- Provide practice in the interpretation of statistical results contained in an empirical (data-based) journal article.
- Provide practice in writing and thinking in a concise and economical manner that is typical of scientific discourse.
You will summarize the article in a maximum of 600 words using the DAA Template located in the Resources area under the Required Resources heading. Specific instructions for completing each section of the DAA Template are listed below.
You may use some of the author's own words to summarize the article with proper citation, but avoid lengthy direct quotes (such as copying multiple sentences or paragraphs verbatim). You should not exceed the limit of 600 words. This is a situation where less is better.
Step 1: Write Section 1 of the DAA
- Provide a brief summary of the journal article.
- Include a definition of the specified variables (predictor, outcome) and corresponding scales of measurement (nominal, continuous).
- Specify the sample size of the data set.
- Discuss why the journal article is relevant to your career specialization.
Step 2: Write Section 2 of the DAA
- Discuss the assumptions of the statistical test used in the journal article.
Step 3: Write Section 3 of the DAA
- Specify the research question from the journal article.
- Articulate the null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis.
Step 4: Write Section 4 of the DAA
- Report the results of the statistical test using proper APA guidelines. This includes:
- Report the effect size and interpretation if one is provided.
- Interpret the test statistic with regard to the null hypothesis.
Step 5: Write Section 5 of the DAA
- Discuss the conclusions of the statistical test as it relates to the research question.
- Conclude with an analysis of the strengths and limitations of the study reported in the journal article