Eastern Florida 2019 May NUR4837 Unit 2 Assignment 1 Latest
NUR4837 Healthcare Policy, Advocacy, and the Political Process
Unit 2 Assignment 1
Influencing policy at the community level
Sphere of influence: The Community
This should be a 1-2 page paper with at least 2 references that support your ideas.
CHOICE 1: You are completing a clinical rotation in a small community agency that provides services to pregnant women or women with children under the age of 3 in an urban area of the southern United States. The racial composition of the community is 78.1% white, 9.6 % African American, 8.0% Hispanic, 0.3% American Indian/Alaska Native, 2.0% Asian, and 2.0% other.
In 2009, 110,800 women of child-bearing age resided in the county with 5,300 total births.
Recently you and your fellow students learned that current statistics for the county reveal that from 2016 to 2018, the infant mortality (number of deaths per 1000 live births) rate was 8.2%; an increase from 6.5% in 2005-2007. For African Americans, the rates were 10.0% in 2015 to 2017 and increased to 14.4% in 2016 to 2018.
The local Healthy Start agency confirms that these data are accurate for the community. In fact, based on a review of deaths by the coroner, in the last year, the major causes of neonatal and infant demise were low birth weight, babies sleeping in bed with an adult (roll over/unintentional deaths), and SIDS.
You will be evaluated on:
Task: You are going to design a health system that addresses a specific health care problem and implements a significant component of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). (For this assignment, you may incorporate Box 13-2, “Six Drivers of High Performance Health Care Systems” into your responses.)
4. Who is the current primary care provider and why?
5. Who is the primary care provider in your Medical Home (Health Home) and why?
6. What specialists currently are needed, and what is the accessibility?
7. How will specialists be handled in your Medical Home (Health Home)?
8. How is access to medical information currently handled?
9. How will you ensure that clients have easy access to medical information in your Medical Home (Health Home)?
10. How will you inform the community about your Medical Home (Health Home)?
11. Who are the stakeholders you need to get on board?
12. What opposition do you project will occur with the opening of the Medical Home (Health Home)?
You will be evaluated on:
• The current primary care provider and why you identified that person
• The primary care provider you select for Medical Home (Health Home) and why
• The specialists currently needed and the accessibility to the specialists
• How the specialists will be handled in your Medical Home (Health Home)
• How the access to medical information is currently handled
• How you will ensure that clients have easy access to medical information in your Medical Home (Health Home)
• How you will inform the community about your Medical Home (Health Home)
• The stakeholders you need to get on board
• The opposition you project to opening the Medical Home (Health Home)