NR500 Foundational Concepts and Applications
Week 2 Assignment
Nursing practice is both an art and a science with caring as a central concept to nursing practice and the profession of nursing. Caring is influenced by the nurse’s knowledge, skills, and attitudes formed through lifelong learning and experiences. The purpose of this assessment is to explore definitions of caring in nursing. Students will create a definition of caring and an artistic expression of their perception on caring.
Through this assessment, the student will meet the following Course Outcomes.
CO1:Examine roles and competencies of master’s-prepared nurses essential to performing as leaders and advocates of holistic, safe, and quality care.
CO2:Apply concepts of person-centered care to nursing practice situations.
TOTAL POINTS POSSIBLE
This assessment is worth 125 points.
Submit your file(s) by 11:59 p.m. MT Sunday at the end of Week 2.
Criteria for Content
Take a moment to reflect on how you demonstrate caring in your current professional practice.
1. Create an original artistic representation of your perception on caring in nursing.
a. Drawings should be formatted on an 8x10 document and submitted as a PDF
b. Poems or short-story – word document 1 page in length
2. In a one- to two-page written paper, address the following.
a. The importance of caring to nursing practice and the profession
b. A personal definition of caring; include principles of holistic care
c. Definitions of caring found in nursing literature that support your perspective on caring
d. An explanation of the artistic expression you chose and how it represents caring
e. Summary of key concepts presented in the paper
PREPARING THE PAPER
1. Application: Use Microsoft Word 2013™ to create the written component of this assessment.
a. The paper (excluding the title page and reference page) should be at least one but no more than two pages.
b. Artistic representation submitted as an 8X10 PDF or word document
3. A minimum of three (3) scholarly literature references must be used.
Best Practices in Preparing the Project
The following are best practices in preparing this project.
1. Review directions thoroughly.
2. Follow submission requirements for selected type of artistic expression.
3. Make sure all elements on the grading rubric are included.
4. Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal, scientific writing.
5. Title page, running head, body of paper, and reference page must follow APA guidelines as found in the 6th edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section of the paper except for the introduction where no heading is used.
6. Ideas and information that come from scholarly literature must be cited and referenced correctly.
7. A minimum of three (3) scholarly literature references must be used.
8. Abide by CCN academic integrity policy.