NR523 Assessment and Evaluation Techniques in Education
Week 3 Assignment
Application Exercise 1: Constructing a Grading Rubric
Purpose:In this assignment, the student assumes the role of an educator in the academic or staff development practice setting. In this assignment, the student is given the opportunity to identify a content area; develop a written assignment related to the content area; and design a grading rubric consistent with the assignment.
DUE DATE:Sunday 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 3
TOTAL POINTS POSSIBLE:175 POINTS
Description of the Assignment:
This assignment provides the student with the opportunity to acquire skills related to the creation of a written assignment for a selected content area. The written assignment guidelines include learning objectives as well as required content. After designing the written assignment, the student will design a grading rubric consistent with the developed assignment guidelines.It is important to recall that the MSN student assumes the role of a nurse educator and is developing the assignment along with the grading rubric for learners who are either in the academic or staff development practice setting. When the following NR 523 guidelines mentions “learner”, it refers to the learner who is the focus of the MSN student-identified assignment and rubric.
Criteria for Content
1. Identification of content area: In this section the MSN student identifies the content area to be the focus of the proposed written assignment. It includes the following required elements:
• Identify the selected content area for the assignment
• Identify thelearner that the assignment is designed for
• Explain the importance of the selected content area to the learner
2. Development of assignment outcomes: This section identifies the learner outcomes for the MSN student-developed assignment. It includes the following required elements:
• Identify 4 assignment outcomes/objectives appropriate to the learner and content area
• Identify the level of knowledge stated in each outcome by using Bloom’s Revised Taxonomy
• Develop two of assignment outcomes/objectives at the evaluating or creating level of Bloom’s Revised Taxonomy
• Present an action verb that is consistent with the selected Bloom’s Taxonomy level
• Include withineach outcomean observable learner behavior that can be measured
3. Development of assignment guidelines: This section identifies specific guidelines or instructions for the learner. It includes the following required elements:
• Purpose of the assignment
• Points for the assignment
• Specific instructions to the learner regarding the required content for the assignment
• Specific instructions to the learn regarding the required formatting requirements for the assignment
4. Development of grading rubric: The section identifies the grading rubric to be used in order to evaluate the learner’s assignment. It includes the following required elements:
• Identify an grading scale than includes percentages for A, B, C, D, and F
• Development of a grading rubric that identifies learner expectations for each grade level
PREPARING THE ASSIGNMENT
Criteria for Format and Special Instructions
1. Cover page is required
2. Section headings are required and should be consisting with this assignment requirements
3. The required level of knowledge using Bloom’s Revised Taxonomy is noted after each assignment outcome/objective in parenthesis.
4. A reference list is not needed unless a citation is provided, which is not expected.
5. The required grading rubric should consist of the following columns and rows.