eight technical accounting terms introduced or emphasized in the reading Work in process Inventory
Listed below are eight technical accounting terms introduced or emphasized in the reading
Work in process Inventory Cost of finished goods manufactured
Conversion Costs Cost of Goods sold
Period Cost Management Accounting
Product Cost Manufacturing Overhead
Each of the following statements may or may not describe one of these technical terms. For each statement, indicate the accounting term described or answer None if the statement does not describe any of the terms
a. The preparation and use of accounting information designed to assist managers in planning and controlling the operations of a business
b. All manufacturing costs other than direct materials used and direct labor
c. Direct materials and direct labor used in manufacturing a product
e. The account debited at the time that the manufacturing overhead account is credited
g. Costs that are debited directly to expense accounts when the costs are incurred
Into which of the three elements of manufacturing cost would each of the following be classified?
- Tubing used in manufacturing bicycles.
- Wages paid by an automobile manufacturer to employees who test-drive completed automobiles.
- Property taxes on machinery.
- Gold bullion used by a jewelry manufacturer.
- Wages of assembly-line workers who package frozen food.
- Salary of plant superintendent.
- Electricity used in factory operations.
Indicate whether each of the following should be considered a product cost or a period cost. If you identify the item as a product cost, also indicate whether it is a direct or an indirect cost. For example, the answer to item 0 is "indirect product cost." Begin with item a.
- Cost of disposal of hazardous waste materials to a chemical plant.
- Amounts paid by a mobile home manufacturer to a subcontractor who installs plumbing in each mobile home.
- Depreciation on sales showroom fixtures.
- Salaries of security guards in administrative office building.
- Salaries of factory security guards.
- Salaries of office workers in the credit department.
- Depreciation on raw materials warehouse.
- Income taxes on a profitable manufacturing company.