7 Greenhouse Effect
July 22, 2015
Question 4: Don't label the graph, just write down what today's CO2 concentration is.
Question 5: Don't use the graph in the assignment, but tell me which letters label
glacials and which letters label interglacials in the attached figure.
DUE: Monday, July 28, 11:59 PM
Greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide (CO2) and methane (CH4) trap long-wavelength
solar radiation in the atmosphere.
There is strong evidence that average global temperatures
are slowly risking.
A likely cause of global warming is the clear trend of increasing
concentration of greenhouse gases due to the burning of fossil fuels.
The plot below shows the
monthly mean concentration of as measured near the summit of Mauna Loa in Hawaii since
1958 (the International Geophysical year).
1) Describe the trend of CO2 over the last 40 years.
Has CO2 changed at a constant rate?
2) What is responsible for the distinctive saw-tooth (zig-zag) pattern superposed on the
overall long-term trend of rising CO2?
4) What is the natural range of variability in the CO2 prior to growth of the human
population and industrialization?
5) Where is todays concentration of CO2?
6) Indicate the times when the Earth (use graph below) was colder (glaciation) and warmer
What would sea level be like during these times? Why?