"Muslim Structures and Pilgrimage" Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
- Describe the main purpose of the Hajj in the Muslim faith, and identify two (2) specific aspects of the Hajj that you find fascinating or significant. Next, explain the association between Muhammad and the area of the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem. Lastly, describe the sacred art of Islam’s key qualities, and explain the fundamental reasons why Muslim artists of sacred works are reluctant to include images of humans (i.e., at least in sacred areas). Think of a place of worship (of any religion) today, and explain which type of artistic tradition would be more conducive to worship: Byzantine art (Chapter 8), Hindu art (Chapter 7), or Muslim art (Chapter 9).
Muslim Structures and Pilgrimage
- Chapter 9 (pp. 288-295, 306-308), Dome of the Rock, Hajj, calligraphy, art (pp. 274-7), Christian mosaics in Ravenna; review the Week 5 Music Folder
- National Geographic on the Hajj at .youtube.com/watch?v=jM81wroj_MQ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM81wroj_MQ
- Walking tour of Jerusalem's Dome of the Rock and structures around it at .saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200901/al-haram/tour.htm">http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200901/al-haram/tour.htm. (Focus on what you wish; the entire tour is lengthy)
"Christian Structures and Pilgrimage" Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
- Identify two (2) aspects of Romanesque cathedral architecture, and explain their significance. Discuss two (2) details one might encounter or experience on the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela (i.e., on the way and / or once there) that you think a medieval Christian pilgrim might find especially meaningful. In modern times, identify the place you would find most meaningful to visit, and explain why. Write a paragraph from a letter you might send home about this "pilgrimage".
Christian Structures and Pilgrimage
- Chapter 10 (pp. 338-345), Medieval Christian pilgrimage and Romanesque cathedrals; review Week 5 Music Folder
- Video about Christian pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela: .youtube.com/watch?v=LCDUl04lfLs">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCDUl04lfLs
- Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez talk about a pilgrimage on film: .npr.org/2011/10/05/141077667/father-and-son-take-a-spiritual-journey-in-the-way">http://www.npr.org/2011/10/05/141077667/father-and-son-take-a-spiritual-journey-in-the-way