1. All of the following are possible steps of scientific investigation except for __________.
A) the collection of scientific facts through observation and measurement
B) assumption of conclusions without prior experimentation or observation
C) the development of one or more working hypotheses or models to explain facts
D) development of observations and experiments to test the hypothesis
2. What mineral is the hardest known substance in nature?
B) native gold
3. The strong tendency of certain minerals to break along smooth, parallel planes is known as __________.
C) cracking luster
D) crystal form
4. Which one of the following is not true for minerals?
A) they have a specific, internal, crystalline structure
B) they can be a liquid, solid, or glass
C) they have a specific, predictable chemical composition
D) they can be identified by characteristic physical properties
5. Which of the following describes the light reflecting and transmission characteristics of a mineral?
B) color streak
C) virtual absorption
6. The scale used to determine the hardness of a mineral is the _____________.
A) Celsius scale
B) Moh's scale
C) Richter's scale
D) Rolph's scale
7. For minerals, what does the Mohs scale measure?
8. Which of these minerals has a Mohs value of 1?
9. Streak measures the color of a mineral's ___________.
10. Ruby and sapphire are red and blue forms of the mineral ____________.