- what sociological phrase is used to describe "opening a window onto unfamiliar worlds" and " offering a fresh look at familiar worlds"?
a. the sociological perspective
b. the social imperative
c. social integration
d. social location
2. when we ask someone a question such as how are things going and we either already know the answer or don't actually care what the answer is, we are practicing........................?
a. dramaturgical analysis
b. definition of the situation
c. the Thomas Theorem
3. anti-gun Lobby and see additional legislation curtailing the sale of handguns as a victory to make streets safer and reduce crime. Second amendment supporters see the same legislation as a curtailment of their constitutional rights. what do sociologists call these competing points of view of the same issue?
a. multiple realities
b. norms of noninvolvement
c. group polarization
d. visual sociology
4. what class of people are classified as the fallout of the "fallout" of the post industrial economy?
a. the homeless
b. the working poor
c. the unemployed
d. the working class
5. based on Merton's strain theory, what is the most popular mode of adaptation?
6. what is the "rationalization of society"?
a. the belief that bureaucracies would come to dominate social life
b. the standardization of all aspects of everyday life
c. the abandonment of speaking the truth due to political correctness'
d. the perpetuation of organizations to better serve the wealthy
7. what is another term that would describe bureaucratic authority?
a. rational legal authority
b. traditional authority
c. charismatic authority
d. industrial authority