Assignment: Essay hamlet
Your task is to trace the evolution of Hamlet's
character through his use of language as evidenced from his
To this end, you will need to determine
who Hamlet is at the opening of the play versus who he is at
You will also need to focus in specifically on
his word choice, his imagery, metaphors, allusions, and so
Each of Hamlet's words, his images, reveals to
us his psyche; your job is to dig deep beneath the surface
of his speech to make inferences about his character.
Please remember all the resources available to you if you
are struggling with Shakespeare.
There are extensive notes
available on Hamlet's soliloquies, as well as free
quality productions of the play to help you better
understand it—and I am always here to answer your
questions via email, so please feel free to reach out!
• Essay must be between 500-600 words
• Essay must use textual support from the 7 soliloquies
(quotes)—include proper in-text citations
• Essay must follow MLA guidelines (google if you're
• Place emphasis on advanced vocabulary and engaging verbs
(which means limited number of "to be" verbs)
• Essay must have a proper introduction with a detailed
thesis statement, several body paragraphs with effective
transitions, and a thoughtful conclusion
• Give your essay a creative title
• Write well! It matters—a lot! Please proofread your
essay carefully, a couple of times.
I recommend consulting
your graded midterm essay, as well—if you are prone to
certain grammatical mistakes, I noted them for your
• Do not use 1st or 2nd person (I or You)