You have been hired by Shiv LLC as an Information Technology consultant to develop a technology proposal. Shiv LLC manufactures and distributes solar panel for the consumer market. Your job is to submit a proposal that meets their criteria.
- The company will have 3 locations (Los Angeles, Dallas, and Houston) but are planning to grow rapidly due to high demand in solar panels. Main staff will be at Dallas and Houston offices.
- Data security is priority since patent and trademarks are at stake.
- Los Angeles sales personnel will need secure remote access to Houston office.
- The WAN connectivity is in place and it is not an issue. There is ample bandwidth in place.
- Feel free to make other assumptions but they need to be noted in the paper.
Topic to Cover:
Your document should cover the content presented in the course. The outline below contains recommended points to cover. You are free to add other related information.
Describe the technical and business reasons for each choice, citing other resources as appropriate. The Windows Server 2012 operating system should be used for all aspects of the solution.
The topics include:
- What forest/domain model should Shiv LLC implement? What is the domain name?
- Where should the domain controllers be place? Should RODC be part of the consideration?
- FSMO Roles placement
- Plan for AD backup and recovery
- Is Group Policy needed?
- What settings might be considered via Group Policy?
- What namespace should Shiv LLC implement?
- What types of zones needed?
- How will the shares be secured?
- Will quotas be used? FSRM be configured?
- Will DFS be implemented?
- What technology will be implemented to provide secure remote access for users?
- Who should have remote access?
- How will the servers and clients be updated?
- How will new servers be deployed?
There are specific requirements for the assignment: The final submission should contain at least 6 pages’ worth of text written by the student (not counting title page, images, diagrams, tables, or quotations), but may be longer, not to exceed approximately 10 pages’ worth of student-supplied text. (With the required diagram, and other images, title page, etc., the final submission may end up being more than 10 pages in length.) It must be double-spaced, have 1-inch margins, and use 12-point Times New Roman or 10-point Arial/Helvetica font. A title page is required; APA format for the title page is optional.
- At least one diagram must be included (not counted towards the minimum length described above). You can have more.
- The submission must cover all of the 6 major topics outlined above. Each choice should be explained with technical and business reasoning. The solution should be reasonably detailed.
- The structure of the final submission is flexible. There is no specific format required, although it should be organized logically and represent a single, unified solution. It is likely that the format will include separate sections for each of the 6 topics required, as well as a summary.
- At least one non-textbook, non-LabSim, non-Wikipedia reference is required; preferably, this would be a “best practice” guide or similar content from Microsoft or an experienced provider of Microsoft solutions.
- Be sure to properly quote or cite any sources used. APA format is required for in-text citations and the list of works cited at the end. It is expected that you are already familiar with UMUC's "Policy on Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism." It is available in the Academic Policies section of the Syllabus; there are also links in the Webliography. In its simplest form, if you are using text from a source, you must cite and/or quote it. If plagiarism is found, then there will be a penalty to the grade.