Assignment 1: Essay
Due Week 4 and worth 100 points
one (1) of the topics below and develop a three to four (3-4) paragraph
essay (of at least 250-500 words) which adequately address the topic
you have chosen.
have been many theories regarding how the pyramids at Giza were
constructed. Most experts agree that they were constructed as burial
monuments for pharaohs, but “how” these ancient people constructed
monuments of such great size without modern machinery is a mystery which
is still being debated.
one can say for certain what happened to the Mayan people, but theories
abound and include varied possible alternatives to explain the abrupt
and mysterious disappearance of the Mayan civilization.
died young, at around 18 years of age. However, his cause of death has
not been confirmed. Did he die of an injury, of illness, or was he
the “Mummy’s Curse,” a series of unexplainable, unfortunate, or tragic
events that happened to the people who were present at the opening of
- There has always been debate about the identity of the poet Homer, the presumed author of The Illiad and The Odyssey. Was he a real person or not?
monumental size and complexity of the Tomb of Shihuangdi is astounding.
It is believed that the workers were forced to remain inside the tomb
when it was walled shut so they would not reveal the secrets of its
construction. What was the emperor’s purpose for such an elaborate
- Other topic choice recommended and approved by the professor and supported by the grading rubric.
Write a 3-4 paragraph paper in which you:
state the “mystery” and provide a brief summary of at least two (2)
reasonable and scholarly theories which could explain the mystery.
Because some theories may sound far-fetched, include the source or
promoter of each theory – such as a scientist, a historian, a
one (1) of the theories as the most plausible and provide at least two
(2) convincing reasons why the theory you have chosen is the best one to
explain the mystery.
- Use at least two (2) sources besides the textbook. Note:
Wikipedia and other similar Websites do not qualify as academic
resources. You are highly encouraged to use the Resource Center tab at
the top of your Blackboard page.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with
one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA
Style format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
(Note: Students can find APA style materials located in the course shell for reference)
a cover page containing the tile of the assignment, the student’s name,
the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page
and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain how key social, cultural, and artistic contributions contribute to historical changes.
- Explain the importance of situating a society’s cultural and artistic expressions within a historical context.
the influences of intellectual, religious, political, and
socio-economic forces on social, cultural, and artistic expressions.
- Identify major historical developments in world cultures during the eras of antiquity to the Renaissance
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the study of world cultures.
- Write clearly and concisely about world cultures using proper writing mechanics.
Click .strayer.edu/bbcswebdav/institution/HUM/111/1146/Week4/Week%204%20Assignment%201%20Rubric.html">here to view the grading rubric.