C02 Business English
Directions: Unless otherwise stated, answer in complete sentences, and be sure to use correct English, spelling and grammar. Sources must be cited in APA format. Your response should be four (4) double-spaced pages; refer to the "Assignment Format" page located on the Course Home page for specific format requirements.
Step 1: Make capitalization corrections.
Correct capitalization for the following sentences.
- orson welles's mercury theater radio broadcast of "the war of the worlds" caused mass panic and hysteria on october 30, 1938.
- before the lecture began, the instructor spoke briefly to the students, stating, "welcome to pre-algebra mathematics 130."
- several students who plan to major in the social and behavior sciences meet on tuesday and thursday to discuss many issues, including the impact of jeffersonian democracy on contemporary society.
- we were unable to distinguish the honors students from those on academic probation based on their dress, social affiliations, musical preferences, or ethnicity.
- the scarsdale passengers enjoyed the scenic bus route that passed such stores as macy's, gourmet cook, and periwinkle's tonsorial parlor.
Step 2: Explain the corrections.
For each of the five (5) sentences you corrected, answer the following questions.
- Why did you make the changes you did to the sentence?
- List the rule (or rules) that state how the original sentence was incorrect.
Step 1: Read a scenario.
WorldConnect Language Services started well and is going strong. However, to expand beyond your Memphis, Tennessee, home market, you need a one-time infusion of cash to open branch offices in other cities around the Southeast. At the Entrepreneur's Lunch Forum you attended yesterday, you learned about several angels, as they are called in the investment community—private individuals who invest money in small companies in exchange for a share of ownership. One such angel, Melinda Sparks, told the audience that she is looking for investment opportunities outside of high technology, where angels often invest their money. She also indicated that she looks for entrepreneurs who know their industries and markets well, who are passionate about the value they bring to the marketplace, who are committed to growing their businesses, and who have a solid plan for how they will spend an investor's money. Fortunately, you meet all of her criteria.
Step 2: Compose a persuasive message.
Use a word processor to draft an email message to Sparks, introducing yourself and your business and asking for a meeting at which you would present your business plan in more detail. Explain that your Memphis office was booked to capacity within two months of opening, thanks to the growing number of international businesses looking for translators and interpreters. You've researched the entire Southeast region and have identified at least 10 other cities that could support a language services office such as yours. Making up whatever other information you need, draft a four-paragraph message following the AIDA method, ending with a request for a meeting within the next four weeks. Your response should be 1 page in length.