Directions: Be sure to save an electronic copy of your answer before submitting it to Ashworth College for grading. Unless otherwise stated, answer in complete sentences, and be sure to use correct English, spelling and grammar. Sources must be cited in APA format. Your response should be four (4) double-spaced pages; refer to the "Assignment Format" page located on the Course Home page for specific format requirements.
Step 1: Download the handout.
• Writing and You
Step 2: Write a paper.
In a one-page paper, address the following:
• Perform each step as directed in the handout: Prewrite, Plan, Draft, Revise, and Proofread.
• Clearly label each step so it is clear how you progressed from your initial paragraph to your final version.
Revise the sentences.
(1) Revise the following sentences so that the subject and verb of each sentence identify key actors and actions:
• The dedication of professors to multiculturalism is crucial to encouraging students of all races to succeed.
• Currently, the percentage of full-time African-American professors teaching in American universities is less than eight.
(2) Revise the following groups of sentences. Combine each group of sentences into a single cohesive sentence.
• Plato was born around 428 B.C. His family was part of the Roman aristocracy. Many of his family members were active in politics. But Plato consciously resisted ever becoming a statesman himself.
• Socrates was a prominent influence in Plato's education. Socrates taught Plato the importance of ethical inquiry. Socrates also helped shape Plato's political philosophy.
• Socrates is the main figure in Plato's Republic. It is through Socrates's insistence on logic that readers see how irrational human behavior can be.
Rewrite the following paragraph.
Add colons and semicolons where needed. Note that a spelling/grammar-checker does not always catch these errors.
One of the most exciting experiences in my life was traveling to Uruguay in South America in June of 2005, through the end of August. I stayed with a family of four mama, papa, Guillermo, and baby. They had an older sister, Michelle she was already married and living with her husband. Papa was a T.V. and radio announcer. The schools were closed at that time, so the young people spent every day walking around the city and talking about everything we could think of life, relationships, the future, and religion. One of the most interesting features in the city was el Cerro, which means "the hill." It was the only real hill in Montevideo at the top we had an amazing view of the city. I brought the following in a picnic for the trip tortillas, tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese. Someday I hope to take my own family on a trip like this one.
Example: We landed in San Juan, Puerto Rico, for three reasons the weather was bad, the crew had the flu, and the fuel was getting low it was an exciting trip.
Revision: We landed in San Juan, Puerto Rico, for three reasons: the weather was bad, the crew had the flu, and the fuel was getting low; it was an exciting trip.