This module discussed the importance of communication. One of the goals of GCU is to help you to effectively communicate throughout your life. Access and review the "Communication Tool." Why is it important to communicate effectively with others? How will effective communication help students in their academic career? Give examples. Why do you think GCU emphasizes quality discussion posts and proper etiquette in the Discussion Forums?
After learning more about what GCU is all about by reading the GCU doctrinal statement, Four Pillars, and Christian Worldview, how do you think GCU’s Christian heritage makes the GCU academic experience different than at a non-faith-based university? What value will this difference add to your educational experience?GCU Doctrinal Statement
Find a scholarly article in the GCU library. Copy an excerpt from the article. The excerpt should be the length of a paragraph (approximately four to five sentences long). Post the excerpt as your initial discussion forum post with your paraphrase of this excerpt directly underneath using appropriate APA citations. Use the link below and the paraphrasing guidelines outlined in Lecture 2 to assist you. In addition, select at least two posts that your classmates have made and comment on what they did well with their paraphrasing, and what they could have done differntly.
Why is it important to critically analyze sources? Why are scholarly sources more appropriate for academic research?
Read the Academic Integrity Scenarios. As you read them, think about how these types of situation might arise in your academic career. How does academic dishonesty undermine the purpose of graduate school?
Academic Integrity Scenarios
Grand Canyon UNV503 Module 3 DQ1 , DQ2 & DQ3 Latest 2015 October
Grand Canyon UNV503 Module 3 DQ1 , DQ2 & DQ3 Latest 2015 OctoberDQ2
Why is it important to evaluate sources for credibility, reliability, and bias? What are possible consequences for not evaluating sources for these items?
Why is Turnitin a valuable tool for students?
Grand Canyon UNV503 Module 4 DQ1 , DQ2 & DQ3 Latest 2015 October
Access and read the "Student Success Story." After you read the story, answer the following: What do you think is the most important thing Jeannine did to change her situation and start to improve at school? Now that you are a graduate student, what are the lessons you learned during your undergraduate career that you will apply to your graduate studies to ensure you get the most out of this experience?
Networking is a vital way to market yourself. Online networking is an accessible way to make connections with people in your field. How do you plan on taking advantage of the online forums available to you as a GCU graduate student? How can attending events, meetings, or conferences relevant to the industry you work in (or would like to work in) assist you in staying motivated?
Setting and achieving goals is essential to success. Being a graduate student provides a perfect opportunity to set and accomplish goals.Reflect on the goals you would like to accomplish during your graduate program and upon completion of your program.
Participating and getting to know other students in your class is important in order to create the online community at GCU. The Class Wall is a place for students to network and get to know one another. Your first post to the Class Wall will be a biography to share information about you with fellow students.
Here are some things to consider including in your biography:
Your biography should be 250-350 words in length.
Post your biography to the Class Wall by the end of Day 2 of Topic 1.
Once other students have posted their bios, go back to the Class Wall and read them, as well as your instructor's bio.
Submit your biography to the appropriate assignment drop box as well as posting it to the Class Wall.
This assignment will help you develop an important skill for college and everyday life – time management. For this assignment, you will keep an informal time log in which you note all your activities for 3 days, from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. Then, you will review your activities to identify times when you were not productive. You should use this information for planning ways to make better use your time.
Part 1: Monitor your time in hourly increments.
Part 2: Reflection
On day four, review your completed Time Monitoring Worksheet in order to take a serious look at how you use your time each day.
Write a 250 – 500 word reflection on how you manage your time. Include the following in your reflection:
Time Monitoring Worksheet
Learning how to navigate the online classroom environment is essential to your academic success.
Online Learning Environment Scavenger Hunt
Learning how to navigate the online classroom environment is essential to your academic success. GCU’s Learning Management System (LMS) LoudCloud has many resources to help you become a successful graduate student.
View the LoudCloud Walk to Class Tutorial as well as search LoudCloud to find answers to the questions below. You should complete the guide while navigating the LoudCloud environment.
Part A: Answer each prompt
1. List the tabs and other items on the screen when you first enter a course in LoudCloud.
2. From the course home page in LoudCloud, click on the “Resources” tab and then click on “Classroom Policies." What do you need to do to make sure you are properly participating in the online classroom?
3. Under the “Resources” Tab in LoudCloud, click on the “Student Success Center;" under the “Writing Center” tab click on the “Style Guides and Templates” link. Read through the APA 6th Edition Style Guide and APA 6th Edition Template (without Abstract) documents. Why do you think academic writing requires such strict formatting?
4. Under the “Resources” Tab in LoudCloud, click on the “Student Success Center." Under which tab in the Student Success Center can you find official Microsoft Tutorials for their software products?
5. Under the “Resources” Tab in LoudCloud, inside the “Student Success Center," click on the “Tools for Success” tab at the top. What video might be most helpful to you under the “Success Webinars” section?
6. From the course home page in LoudCloud, find where you can see your current grade in the course.
7. Click on the “Resources” Tab in the classroom. Click on “Syllabus." What are all the different sections found in the Syllabus? Look at the “Overall” and “Current” sections of the syllabus. (Hint: they might be the orange sections on the left of the screen.)
8. Click on “Library” under the “Resources” tab. Go to the Library website and find a time that a GCU Library Introduction webinar tour is available. Write down a time and date that one is offered.
Part B: Highlight the correct response
9. Where are the topic lectures found?
a) The Syllabus
b) Course Materials
c) Main Forum
d) Both A and B
10. In the Student Success Center located under theResources Tab in Loud Cloud, which of the following is notfound under the “Tools for Success” tab:
a) The Writing Center
b) The Basics
c) First Year Experience
d) Success Webinars
11. What do Course Materials in Loud Cloud consist of?
a) Lecture Notes, Electronic Resources, and Other instructional Media
b) Computer, Internet, and Software
c) Pens, Paper, and Books
d) The Syllabus, Discussion Forum, and Student Success Center
12. Where do you find the“Announcements" tab for a course in LoudCloud?
a) In the LoudCloud tool bar at the top of the classroom
b) The Calendar
c) The Syllabus
d) The instructor emails them to you at the start of each week.
13. What would you do if you wanted to ask your instructor a question in which you felt your classmates could benefit from the answer as well?
a) Send him or her a personal email
b) Post the question in the Main Forum
c) Post the question in the Individual Forum
d) Post the question in the Questions to Instructor Forum
14. Looking at the Forum Sectionunder the Tasks tab, which section is not listed in Loud Cloud?
a) Main Forum
b) Question to Instructor Forum
c) Assignment Forum
d) Individual Forum
15. Where are the weekly topic learning objectives found?
a) On the Calendar
b) In the Syllabus
c) In the Main Forum
d) Under the Tasks Tab
16. Where is the syllabus found in Loud Cloud?
a) Under the Calendar tab
b) Under the Resources tab
Read "Read-Only Participants: A Case for Student Communication in Online Classes" by Nagel, Blignaut, and Cronje which is located in the e-Library Resource section of the Topic 1 materials.
After reading the Nagel, Blignaut, and Cronje article, write a 250-500-word summary of it.
Refer to the guidelines for writing an effective summary presented in the Lecture 2 as a guide.
Be sure to include a discussion of the research problem, questions, method, findings, and implications discussed by the authors.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
1. Correct the in-text citation in the sentence below.
Neither group showed any significant growth (Wong and Tuttle 2005).
2. Correctly format the reference below.
Bretschneider, John Garrett and McCoy, Nancy Lewis, 1968. Sexual Interest and Behavior in Healthy 80- 102-Year-Olds. Archives of Sexual Behavior, Vol. 14, pp. 343-350.
3. Correctly format the reference below.
Hashimoto, Thomas. (March 13, 2000, p. 23).Seeing Red in November.Newsweek, vol. 199.
4. What is the correct way to format quotations longer than 40 words?
5. Compose a direct quotation using only the underlined information from the sentence below. The quotation should be grammatically and APA stylistically correct.
“Pride and Prejudice is a novel by Jane Austen that deals with issues of class, gender, and social status, in addition to being a love story.”
6. Rewrite the quote below so that it includes an explanation in your own wordsto the reader that Mr. Johnson is the founder of the Eat More Oreos Foundation.
“Mr. Johnson declined to comment on this article.”
7. Does the sentence below need to be cited? Why or why not?
Bill Gates is the founder of Microsoft.
8. Does the sentence below need to be cited? Why or why not?
Students who studied two hours a day did 25% better on the final exam.
Activity 2: Citing Practice
Create a reference page by citing the following sources in correct APA format. You may use your text or the OWL website to help you, but do not use citation generators.
· A text book: The second edition of Psychology and Your Life by Robert S. Feldman written in 2013. The publishing city is New York New York published from McGraw Hill Companies.
· Snickers commercial .youtube.com/watch?v=6BPLR9l0CYA">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BPLR9l0CYA
· PBS Frontline special League of Denial
· The document found at this address:
· The movie Silver Linings Playbook
· The episode of Friends titled: The One After Joey and Rachel Kiss
· The 6th edition of the APA Manual
Write a 100 – 150 word response to each of the questions below.
1. List and describe two benefits of checking your turnitin score before submitting your assignment.
2. A student receives a 35% similarity rate on their turnitin score. What does this mean and what should that student do before they submit their assignment?
For this assignment you will create an annotated reference list using the template provided.
Choose a topic within your field of study and conduct research using the GCU eLibrary to find three scholarly articles that could be used to support that topic. Review the Module 3 Lecture for a description of what is considered a scholarly article.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not
Annotated Reference List
Racism and Religion: The Contrasting Views of Benjamin Mays, Malcom X and Martin Luther King, Jr. by Hatch, Roger D.
Persistent GCU Library Link
50 Word Paraphrased Abstract
This article covers the views of Benjamin Mays, Malcolm X, and Martin Luther King, Jr. on three key questions: 1) What is the nature of racism? 2) What is a vision of a just society? and 3) What are the means to enact the vision? Benjamin Mays addresses the pervasiveness of racism and calls for realizing the ideals of the American dream. Malcolm X addresses the role of White people in racism and calls for separation and judgment on racism. Martin Luther King, Jr. addresses the multiple dimensions that racism affects, citing economics and the violation of rights that occurs when something is justified economically. His vision of a just society is integration and a higher set of values. The means to enact this vision are nonviolence and persuasion.
Why do you consider this article to be scholarly?Be sure to identify the source of their authority within your explanation.
This source is from a scholarly journal and the author cited credible sources throughout the article.
How did you find the sources? For example, what key words did you use? How did you narrow your results, etc.)
Clicked on the link above to the library home page. Selected “Find Journal Articles.” Clicked on “Christian Studies” under “Find Databases by Subject.” Selected “ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials.” Also selected “Religion and Philosophy Collection.” Used keywords “Martin Luther King AND (worldview OR religion* OR belief*).”
How is this source relevant to your research paper?
Describes how Martin Luther King, Jr. viewed racism, a just society, and the means for creating a just society.
APA 6th Edition Reference and Citation
Hatch, R. D. (1979). Racism and religion: The contrasting views of Benjamin Mays, Malcolm X, and Martin Luther King, Jr. Journal of Religious Thought, 36(2), 26-36.
For this assignment you will conduct research on the career path you plan to pursue, and develop a PowerPoint presentation that addresses the following:
Successful graduate students know their strengths academically. Now that you have almost completed this course, it is important for you to evaluate your skill level.
UNV 503: Academic Skills Survey
Now that you are in a graduate program here at GCU, knowing how you study and prepare for class is important because the online classroom setting is so different than the traditional campus classroom setting. Knowing personal strengths and weaknesses is beneficial in moving toward self improvement. Learning how to improve student skills will help you build confidence as a GCU graduate student.
Now that you have completed most of this course, complete this survey by highlighting the number that best illustrates your response to the statements below. Then answer the questions at the end of the survey.
1. I am able to navigate through the GCU online environment sufficiently.
2. Submitting assignments within the online classroom has posed no challenge for me.
3. I rewrite my class notes and review them before completing an assignment.
4. I make sure to review all the readings and other resources before I try to do the assignments for the week.
5. I work hard to understand the “big picture” concepts presented in a lecture.
6. I often think of how I can apply what I have learned in class to my career or everyday life.
8. I prefer to study for a test several days before the actual test date.
9. I take my time and do school work in chunks, rather than trying to do everything in one sitting.
10. When I study, I make sure I am free from distractions.
11. I prefer to study in a group setting.
13. While doing school work, I only use the Internet for researching topics.
14. Using the GCU eLibrary has posed no real challenges for me.
15. I learn by doingsomething – trying a process out for myself.
16. I prefer a highly structured learning environment – even in an online learning environment.
17. I really try to participate in engaging dialogues while in the discussion forum.
18. While doing school work, I am mentally and emotionally engaged with the content.
Now that you have evaluated your skill level and learning preferences, answer the following questions:
1. How confident are you in your ability to succeed as an online graduate student? Are there particular areas you need to improve in?
2. How will your responses on this survey influence the goals you make and the way you conduct your online studies?