M5D2: CommunicatingSocial Justice Issues<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
LA298: ASSOCIATEDEGREE CAPSTONE
250 words or more
I will attach the article
In this discussion, we will explore how art is used tofurther social change. Please read the article by Jennifer Miles and LauraDawson, The Art of Social Justice, and conduct additional topicalresearch into one of the art forms mentioned: poetry, graffiti, memory boxes(searching for “memory boxes and social justice”, for instance, on theInternet) and make a post as follows:
- Choose one issue that the art form is used to highlight and discuss how it achieves that end. Share a link to a website where others can read more.
- How does the act of creation and public display work together to address the particular social justice issue?
- What have been/do you see as the sociopolitical effects of the work you have identified?
- What about the work of Eduardo Valadez and Vanessa Pike-Vrtiak (interviewed in the Dawson and Miles article)? How might this make a personal and social impact?
- Do you believe art can affect change? Why/why not?