1. What is the natural domain of the function f(x) = 2x -1?
a. All of the real numbers
b. X = 0.5
c. All real numbers except x = 0.5
d. All positive real numbers
2. Suppose f(x) = x^2 + 1 (Note that ^ is the power of function; x^2 represents “x squared”) Whicch one of the following represents f(f(x))?
a. f(f(x)) = (x^2 + 1)^2 +1
b. f(f(x)) = (x^2 +1)^2
c. f(f(x)) = x^4 + 2x^2 + 1
d. f(f(X)) = x^4 + 1
3. Consider the following unit circle.
Which one of the following is FALSE?
a. y 0 = sin (T)
b. x 0 = cos(t)
c. cos(-t) = cos(t)
d. sin(-t) = sin(t)
4. The matlab command for finding the limit of an expression y as x tends to c is: >> limit(y,x,c)
Matlab uses Nan to say a limit does not exist, and Inf to say a limit is infinity. The Matlab function for absolute value is abs(x); this gives IxI.
5. A piecewise function f is defined by:
F(x) = x + k when x is less than 1, and
F(x) = 3 otherwise.
What value of k makes f continuous at x =1?
b. No value of k