general business data bank
1. Managers succeed by focusing on fundamentals and
knowing what's important.
2. The primary reason that companies fail is a change
in the environment.
3. The four key elements that make the current
business environment different from the past include globalization,
technological change, the importance of knowledge and ideas, and collaboration
across organizational "boundaries."
4. A global company is headquartered anywhere, but the
managers all come from the United States.
5. The Internet can affect how and when people
6. Until recently the move to globalization was
growing very quickly. Now the change from local to global has leveled off and
countries are pushing back on global opportunities such that we may yet see a
change back to localization.
7. Globalization affects only large companies.
8. It can be said that technology both complicates
things and creates new opportunities.
9. Using personal technology such as a BlackBerry,
means that you must be available all of the time to do the best job
10. Knowledge management is a set of practices aimed
at discovering and harnessing the competition's intellectual resources.
11. The most precious resources of an organization are
people's expertise, skills, wisdom, and relationships.
12. Collaboration can occur between but not within
13. Better serving the customer can start with
involving the customer more in company decisions, especially when it comes to
discovering more about customer attitudes.
14. The key to company success is how much the
industry in which it operates will affect society or how much it will
15. The fundamental success drivers for an
organization are innovation, quality, speed, and product delivery time.
16. Innovation is the introduction of new goods and
17. If an organization does not innovate, it will
18. Sometimes the most important innovation isn't the
product itself but the way it is delivered.
19. Quality is the excellence of your product
(including goods and services).
20. Total quality includes preventing defects before
21. Today, customers value both the quality of
physical goods and the quality of services.
22. While many companies customize their products,
which customers like, this is not an aspect of quality.
23. Service is the speed and dependability with which
an organization delivers what customers want.
24. One dimension of service quality is making it easy
and enjoyable for customers to experience a service or to buy and use
25. Corporate speed often separates the winners from
the losers in business.