devry ENG 112 week 3 and week 4 review paper
Essay 2: Review (Rough Draft due this week)
This week, you'll begin to draft your review essay. While the final draft of this paper is not due until the end of Week 4, you will submit a draft to your professor and to your peers in your assigned peer review discussion this week.
Chapter 6 in our textbook discusses reviews: "The review is essentially an informed opinion based on common expectations that the average consumer tends to have for the kind of item under review. The reviewer elaborates on his or her experience by linking his or her opinions to these expectations and passing a final judgment" (Johnson-Sheehan & Paine, 2010, p. 124).
To write a review, you set out the product or service that you're reviewing, your expectations for that product or service, and compare your expectations with what you actually got. Finally, pass judgment on the quality or capacity of your subject.
A "product or service" includes anything for which you paid money and expected to receive something in exchange. Read the sample reviews in our text, and you'll see that some are about music albums or movies. Those are products of the entertainment industry. You can review music or a film yourself. Services include anything and everything from an oil, lube, and tire pressure check on your car to a memorable vacation at a resort in Vanuatu. Pick any product or service that you've experienced or used AND that left you with a clearly good or bad impression.
To start, outline your expectations and how your subject met them: What did you want? What did you get?
Next, outline the precise ways that your subject met or failed to meet expectations. Use specifics and details: explain exactly how your subject succeeded or failed.
You should have a good start with your details, so begin drafting the essay. Name your product/service in the first paragraph so your reader identifies the subject. Establish your ethos by describing your background, your relationship to the product/service, the length of time you've used it or known about it. Establish your logos, too: in a thesis, tell what you expected and whether or not your subject met those expectations.
The rest depends on specifics. Get into them. Write paragraphs that have one idea each and that tell, exactly, what the product/service did or did not do to meet your expectations.
Your conclusion should either
1) reinforce your positive review of the product/service or 2) offer an alternative if you've written a negative review.
Successful drafts will:
1. Be 2-3 pages in length.
2. Follow APA formatting rules and referencing rules shown in the APA sample paper in Doc Sharing or here: https://hub2.devry.edu/node/25835
3. Be typed and submitted as a Word document, double-spaced, 12-pt Times New Roman font.
Essay 2: Review (Due this Week)
This week, you will complete your work on Essay 2: Review. Be sure to first read and refer to your assigned reading passages for this week.
Submit your assignment to the Dropbox located on the silver tab at the top of this page. For instructions on how to use the Dropbox, read these Step-by-Step Instructions, or watch this Dropbox Tutorial.
See Syllabus "Due Dates for Assignments & Exams" for due date information.
Please review the assignment details for the Review essay. Use professor feedback from your draft to revise your Review into a polished final paper this week. Add a one-paragraph reflection at the end of your paper, written to your professor, which explains your strategy for writing.Successful assignments will:
- Be between 2-3 pages with improvements made from the drafting stage.
- Contain a well-crafted thesis statement that tells about your subject and describes whether or not your subject met your expectations.
- Follow APA formatting and referencing format as identified in the APA sample paper in Doc Sharing or through this tutorial: APA Tutorial. An APA title page, running heads, and page numbers are required.
- Be typed and submitted as a Microsoft Word document, double-spaced, 12-pt Times New Roman font.